Friday, November 25, 2011

Sugar Drop Cookies



Made these with the kids on Thanksgiving. This recipe will be enough for several dozen. I didn't have time to finish baking all of them so I decided to store the leftover cookie dough in my refrigerator, but you can also freeze leftover dough.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup vegetable oil (canola will work as well)
1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (or as I call it, powdered sugar)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tarter (can't remember why in the world I had it, but I did!)
about 1/2 cup or so of white sugar for decorating, & sprinkles optional

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large bowl, cream together the butter, oil, white sugar, and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy (I gave in and used my mixer).
3. Beat in 1 egg at a time. Then stir in the vanilla.
4. In a separate, also large bowl (or you'll run into the problem I had with the flour getting knocked out of the bowl by crazy kids, or by your crazy self), combine the flour, baking soda, and cream of tarter. After mixed, pour into the creamed mixture.
5. Real quick on a separate plate, pour the 1/2 cup or so of sugar & sprinkles if you want it, because you'll need it after the next step.
6. The only way to really mix this together is to use your hands, so make sure you did a good job washing them, or double-wash the kids' hands in case they did anything gross in between washings, and dig in.
7. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls, and then roll onto the plate with the sugar (and sprinkles if you chose to add those too, like I did).
8. Put onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and use a fork to gently flatten them. Be careful not to press them too flat (I had to redo the ones my 3-year-old did when she wasn't looking because she flattened them like a pancake) or they'll come out super thin and crunchy. Unless you like super thin and crunchy cookies.
9. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges appear slightly brown. If you've never made sugar cookies before, it might look like they're not done, or you'll poke them and it'll cave in and you'll think they're not done, but they are. After a few minutes of cooling they firm up. Took me a couple of times to realize that so in the beginning of my baking life I would keep burning all the cookies I made, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment